Monday, March 3, 2014

Ups and Downs of Critique Groups

"The Outcasts"
 
Every month, I travel to Tallahassee, FL from Dothan, AL to meet my critique circle in person. We discuss our works in progress, marketing strategies, and writing events.  My group is very eclectic in our genres and what we offer one another. One person may be great at editing, another may have marketing skills, and still another may be excellent at character building. Every time, I go it makes me feel energized to continue writing.
 
Fellow author and Outcast member, Robert Frink talks about his experience with critique groups. "Critique groups can be brutal. When I first started years ago I was devastated, fearing the critiquer's could see the despair in my face and the turmoil in my head. Over time my skin thickened and I learned to take what I needed, use it and move on.
 
To a certain extent critique groups help us face what will surely assault us all no matter how good we write - somebody will always hate our work and cast dispersions upon our emotional progeny."

No comments:

Post a Comment