Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dialogue

When I got to a chapter in my last novel and knew what was going to happen, but didn't have the words to get started... I just began with dialogue. I thought to myself...what are the people in this scene going to say one another. Then, I just started typing it out without names, description, or even quotation marks. After I finished two pages of nothing but dialogue, I went back and added all the description, names, body language, and actions. Oh yeah, I inserted the punctuation, too. Apparently, that is necessary. In the end, the chapter would have been fleshed out from the two original pages to ten pages.

So, as I begin formulating and stewing over my next novel... I have decided to practice the art of dialogue. I picked up this book called, Write Great Fiction: Dialogue, Techniques and Exercises for Creating Effective Dialogue. I have read the first few chapters already and engaging myself in all of the suggested dialogue exercises.

One of the tasks suggests that you write a scene that reveals the inner motivations of both people through dialogue. In an effort to be more realistic, I turn to my husband and implore that he do an acting exercise with me. He, of course, makes the horrible mistake of saying yes to me... (horrible for him because now he was so good I am going to try to do this more often.)

So, I give him the character and background that I want him to act out... I tell him what his motivation is and what he is NOT saying that is very important to the entire scene. I recorded the dialogue of our pretend confrontation, so I could transcribe it later for my self-assigned assignment. Have to tell you, this acting out really helped keep the dialogue realistic. I'd share the outcome, but it will be in the middle of my next book. You'll just have to read it then.

1 comment:

  1. you're so clever!
    I love writing books too:)
    We're reading Sound & Sense in English and it is so great.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete